In this week’s Zed Games Podcast Maylee and Tobi bring you banter, blood and beavers. With the long awaited review of Dead by Daylight from Maylee, and finishing with our newest team member Hazel reviewing Timberborn, this one is a blast from start to end!
Australian Game Developer Awards Winners Announced!
The winners for the Australian Game Developer Awards have been announced, with Queensland and Victorian developers leading the way.
Local game Unpacking by Witch Beam has taken the Game of the Year Award, with the relaxing puzzle game also taking home the Excellence in Accessibility Award. Art Director and Designer Wren Brier says,
“It’s humbling to be part of a roster of amazing studios with incredible games that have won this award. We’re so pleased that Unpacking also took home the Excellence in Accessibility Award as we’re firm believers that video games can and should be enjoyed by everyone.”
Another local game, Webbed, the adorable game about spiders, received Excellence in Gameplay.
Beethoven & Dinosaur took home Excellence in Art and Excellence in Audio Awards for The Artful Escape. Black Lab Games won the Studio of the Year Award.
Steve Wang from Wargaming Sydney was awarded the Adam Lancman Award for his contribution and advocacy for the local games industry.
Chad Toprak, Kathleen Smart, and Ashley Van Wynngard were jointly awarded the Rising Star Award for the impact they’ve made to the industry in a short amount of time.
The Forgotten City by Modern Storyteller took home Excellence in Narrative, The Oregon Trail by Gameloft Brisbane won Excellence in Mobile Games, Sharmila by Chaos Theory Games and the World Food Programme took home Excellence in Serious Games. Pico Tanks by Panda Arcade was awarded Excellence in Ongoing Games, and Video World by Things for Humans won Excellence in Emerging Games.
Largest DDoS Attack Mitigated
Microsoft reveals that its Azure cloud service mitigated a 2.4 terabytes per second denial of service attack this year, which makes this the largest DDoS attack recorded to date.
The attack was carried out using a botnet of around 70,000 bots primarily located across the Asia-Pacific region. The target of
the attack has been identified as an Azure customer in Europe. The record-breaking attack came in three short waves over the span of 10 minutes, with the first at 2.4 Tbps.
Thankfully the DDoS attack was mitigated, preventing Azure from going down. Previously the DDoS record was a 2.3 Tbps attack on Amazon in February 2020.
League of Legends Removing Opposing Team Chat
Riot Games has announced that chat between opposing teams in League of Legends will be disabled in an attempt to cut down on toxic behaviour.
“While chat can be the source of fun social interaction between teams as well as some good-hearted banter, right now negative interactions outweigh the positives. We’ll evaluate the impact of this change through verbal abuse reports and penalty rates, as well as surveys and direct feedback from you all.”
And now for some upcoming game releases!
- A Little Golf Journey [PC, Switch]
- Bonito Days [Switch]
- Despot’s Game [PC]
- Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality [PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO, Switch]
- Dungeon Encounters [PC, PS4, Switch]
- Godstrike [PS4, XBO]
- Jackbox Party Pack 8 [PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO, Switch]
- Ruin Raiders [PC, Switch]
- Sphere – Flying Cities [PC]
- Ancient Stories: Gods of Egypt [PS4, XBO, Switch]
- Crysis Remastered Trilogy [PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO]
- Demon Slayer: The Hikonami Chronicles [PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO]
- The Good Life [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch]
- Greylancer [PS4, XBO, Switch]
- Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town [PS4, XBO]
- Nuclear Blaze [PC]
- Dying Light: Platinum Edition [Switch
- Into The Pit [PC, XBO]
- War Mongrels [PC]
- Youtubers Life 2 [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch]
- Healing Spree [PC]
- Jars [PC, Switch]
This week Paul takes over Zed Games. Together with Zahra they discuss the news and Firmware updates, then Zahra takes over the helm reviewing Black Skylands before Paul traps us with a review of Webbed.
Freeplay 2021 Awards
Freeplay is Australia’s largest celebration of Australian independent games, and each year displays a diverse array of games, made by developers from all walks of life. This year, the Freeplay Award was granted to Umurangi Generation by Origame Digital, a first person photography game set in the future.
Some other finalists includes:
- Webbed by Sbug Games for Excellence in Design
- A Long Goodbye by Dana McKay for Excellence in Narrative
- Neon Cyborg Cat Club by Edwin Montgomer for Experimental Game Award
- Completely Stretchy and Uncomfortably Sticky by Daniel Ferguson for Excellence in Visual Art
- The Lighthouse At The Edge Of The Universe by Ella Lim for Non-Digital Game Award
- The Snowgardens by Anthony Cristiano for Student Game Award
- Mealmates by magicdweedoo for Excellence in Audio
- UNDER A STAR CALLED SUN by Cecile Richard for Micro-Game Award
- Before We Leave by Balancing Monkey Games for Across The Ditch Award
WitcherCon is Almost Here!
Fans of the books, games, and show will be able to come together for all things Witcher at WitcherCon, a digital convention taking place on July 9 on Netflix, YouTube, and Twitch.
Fans are being warned that there will be no new game announcement, however there is plenty to look forward to, such as a deep dive into the making of the games, the Netflix series, merchandise, and behind-the-scenes footage. In addition, there will be interactive panels with people involved in the creation of The Witcher, with never-before-seen reveals, and explorations into the lore and the world of The Witcher.
Real Life Dogmeat Passes Away
Fallout fans are probably well aware of Dogmeat, the canine companion who helps and backs up the player through thick and thin. A brave and capable German Shepard, its no secret that Dogmeat is held fondly in many hearts.
The real life inspiration for the Fallout companion, River, has sadly passed away. Fallout 4 senior designer, Joel Burgess, tweets:
“Dogmeat is a tether. He grounds you in the world, will always stand by you, lead you to your family, and anticipate your needs. He wants you to be safe and happy.
In other words, he loves you.
And if love is River’s legacy, I am contented.
Rest in peace, big girl.”
River had won an award for her role in Fallout 4, and true to Dogmeat’s companion role in the game, she had a major role as a companion to developers.
And now for some upcoming game releases!
- Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights (PS4, PS5)
- A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS5, XSX, Switch)
- Watch Dogs Legion: Bloodline DLC (PC, PS4, PS5, XSX, XBO)